Obsessed foodies claim viral TikTok salad will top ‘taste of summer’ trends – so have you tried it yet?
- The Persian Shirazi salad is a super quick healthy salad that’s perfect for hot days
- The feta salad is filled with feta, cucumber, tomato, onion, lime and fresh herbs
- It takes under 10 minutes to prepare and makes a great tasty side salad or dip
Foodies are ‘obsessed’ with TikToks latest must-try recipe – an ‘addictive’ feta salad that’s perfect for summer and simple to throw together.
The Persian Shirazi-inspired salad which takes under 10 minutes to prepare and can be eaten as a side or a dip was immediately embraced by hungry Australians.
Gold Coast foodie and home cook, Michael Finch, hopped on board with the trend and dubbed the dish the ‘perfect salad for hot weather’.
This makes the timing of the viral recipe ideal – as experts predict a sudden end to Australia’s recent stint of cool and rainy summers.
Gold Coast food content creator Michael Finch shared his simple recipe for the perfect summer salad
The veggie-rich salad requires finely chopped cucumber, tomato, onion and herbs. The veggies are then mixed together with lime, salt, pepper, olive oil and feta to make a tasty side salad or dip
‘I have made this salad literally three times in the past three weeks, just because it’s that good,’ he said.
The recipe calls for chopped tomato, onion and cucumber. Michael advised leaving some skin on the cucumber for added bite.
‘You’re going to chop some tomatoes, and peel the cucumbers in a way that kind of leaves some skin on it,’ he said.
He said the ‘trick’ for this salad is to finely dice all the ingredients to have ‘some of everything in each bite’.
The foodie likes to use parsley and mint as the fresh herbs in this recipe, as well as lots of lime ‘because it cuts through everything so well’.
He suggested adding generous amounts of black pepper and oil, but to go easy on the salt as feta is very salty.
‘It’s literally so addictive. It’s good as a side salad or with corn chips,’ Michael said about the finished product.
How to make a Persian Shiraz summer salad
- 5 medium Roma tomatoes
- 4 Lebanese cucumbers
- 1/2 red onion
- Bunch parsley
- Bunch mint
- Zest 1 lime
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Feta cheese
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
* Finely chop the herbs, tomatoes and red onion, semi-peel and chop the cucumbers
* Add the ingredients to a large bowl
* Add the juice of two limes and the zest of one
* Add salt, pepper, olive oil and red wine vinegar
* Add as much feta as you like
* Mix all of the ingredients together and serve as a side or with corn chips
Michael’s followers explained that the recipe is a traditional Middle Eastern dish, with the added kick of feta. Others believe it’s similar to a Greek salad.
‘Yummmm best salad ever!’ one woman commented.
Several recommended adding sumac to the salad for an elevated taste.
Other fans advised adding quinoa to make it a whole meal.
Previously, Michael tried his hand at the viral butter board trend which he dubbed the new ‘charcuterie board.’
To make the butter board Michael first spread organic butter on a plate, then added sea salt and goats cheese.
He drizzled apricot jam, dried apricots, truffle honey with macadamia nuts and edible flowers over the butter.
The foodie served the dip with sourdough bread.
TikTok food trends that people swear by
1. Corn ribs – chunks of corn are marinated and cooked in spices the dipped in your favourite salsa
2. Baked feta pasta – pasta, cherry tomatoes and olive oil are baked in a tray with a whole block of feta
3. Pasta chips – dried pasta is seasoned and air fried for a crunchy snack
4. Baked oats – make a dessert like breakfast by baking oats with sweet toppings like bananas and chocolate
5. Cloud bread – egg whites, corn starch and sugar are whisked together to make a high-protein photogenic bread
6. Salmon sushi bowl – this recipe mixes all the ingredients of a salmon sushi roll into a bowl and is then eaten with seaweed
7. Vodka pasta – this trending pasta is a simple tomato sauce with added vodka and cream and was popularised by supermodel Gigi Hadid
8. Pesto eggs – this recipe uses pesto instead of butter on toast with eggs, and makes a delicious savoury breakfast
9. Custard toast – greek yogurt is mixed with egg and maple syrup and spread on toast. The toast is then air fried to make an indulgent dessert
10. Avocado, ice cubes and condensed milk – this Filipino dessert only requires the three ingredients to be mixed together in a bowl and eaten as a sweet treat