Every Friday, Perfect Daily Grind rounds up the top coffee industry news from the previous week. Here are this week’s stories.
Mon, 25 Jul
- Bean Voyage to host first-ever Wxmen-POWERed Coffee Summit in Costa Rica. The summit will help to connect smallholder women coffee producers with international buyers, and will include panel discussions, seminars, cuppings, and a screening of the Mas Que un Café (Stronger than Coffee) documentary. The event will take place in San José from 11 to 12 August 2022.
Tue, 26 Jul
Wed, 27 Jul
- Registration opens for 2022 Finnish AeroPress Championship. There will be three semi-final rounds held in Helsinki, Lappeenranta, and Tampere, with the finals taking place in Lahti on 10 September 2022. The winner will represent Finland in the World AeroPress Championship in Vancouver BC from 1 to 3 December 2022.
Thu, 28 Jul
Fri, 29 Jul
Here are a few news stories from previous weeks that you might find interesting. Take a look.
- Mon, 18 Jul – Starbucks to close more US stores over “personal safety” concerns. The company is already closing 16 stores in the US over claims of health and safety violations, but CEO Howard Schultz says “many more” stores will also close. Starbucks workers involved in unionisation efforts claim the store closures are acts of retaliation.
- Tue, 19 Jul – New consumer report finds 70% of US drive-thru customers demand more automation. The Presto Pulse of the Industry study found that consumers are increasingly dissatisfied with drive-thru wait times and service, including for drive-thru coffee chains. The majority of survey respondents stated they would be most comfortable using AI voice assistants to place orders if service time could be reduced.
- Fri, 22 Jul – Costa Coffee franchisee Scoffs Group appoints new COO. Paul Turner joins the largest of the coffee chain’s Individual Franchise Partners in a newly established role. In the new COO position, Turner will oversee recruitment expansion, development of internal procedures, and optimisation of operations.
Sign up to our weekly coffee news recap to get a summary of all the biggest stories in the sector, delivered straight to your inbox every Monday.
Want to keep up with current affairs in the coffee industry? Check out last week’s stories.