A dead cockroach was recently found in a meal at the food court of Nexus Elante Mall which is in Chandigarh.
Dead cockroach found in fried rice
According to Times Of India, the complainant named Anil Kumar who is a resident of Mauli Complex said he ordered fried rice from “Ni Hao”, a Chinese food outlet at the mall’s food court, and was shocked to find a cockroach in it. The Elante food court is owned by Ayaan Foods and the restaurant is directly run by them.
When the complainant allegedly showed the cockroach to the restaurant staff, they passed it off as a piece of onion. This is when the complainant called the police. claimed he complained to the police but they said action would be taken only after the result of the food samples arrive.
A mall spokesperson, in a statement, said, “We were made aware of the regrettable incident at ‘Ni Hao’ kiosk at the food court on our premises managed by Ayaan Foods. This is the second incident in a very short duration at the food court managed by Ayaan Foods and is unacceptable to us. The hygiene and safety of our patrons are of utmost importance to us and we urge the administration to conduct a thorough food safety audit in the food court and take necessary punitive action.”
Food court owner alleges conspiracy by mall management
According to Hindustan Times, the owner of Ayaan Foods claimed that it was an act of sabotage by the mall management with whom he had a dispute regarding rent earlier in April.
He claimed that the said customer was an employee of the mall and was even seen chatting with some of the other mall employees before the incident took place.
This is not the first time hygiene standards of restaurants have been questioned. Recently, a dead lizard was found in the food of Delhi’s popular Italian restaurant Diggin.
Follow us on telegram.